Monday, November 12, 2012

Feeling Like a Winner

This weekend, I got my groove back.
 
 
(This is Sheryl, not me, but you get the point)
 
After a bit of an emotional and physical lull following my journey around the Big Island, I finally feel back to myself and back to my joy.
 
  
Hawaii helps.  It totally rocks here. 
 
 
 
On Saturday, I ran a local "Miracle Mile" race with Big Island Running Company, and got first in my age division.  It was my first time winning anything (besides raffles) so I admit, I feel proud.
 
I'm a winner... 
 
Why is that so hard to say?  As an endurance athlete, and someone who tackles big goals, I am incredibly hard on myself.  I wonder; why is it so much easier to put myself down, than to build myself up?  Why does it feel so "dirty" to say, "Hey, I'm good at something?"
 
 
Well, the confidence of the race clearly had a positive effect on my psyche (which was feeling bruised from too much television and sugar this past week), because I ran a solid 20 miles this morning in better time than usual; just 3:15.
 
 
I made an amazing banana, orange, almond butter smoothie to recover.
 
Then a quick dip in the clear ocean and the massage of my life from Bonnie at Gifted Hands Massage.
 
Moral of the weekend; have patience and dark times or bad moods will pass.  As the Black Eyed Peas wisely say:  "To bring in the light, we must first bring in the dark."


No comments:

Post a Comment