Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings

Yesterday, as I was riding the bus to Hilo from Kona for the amazing farmers market, I thought a lot about the New Year and cycles of change.


Plants germinate and sprout, explode into growth and reach for the warmth of the sun; then produce seeds and well... die; or go dormant.  Is this a "bad" thing, a fact of life, or a wondrous miracle?  I think it all depends on attitude.


As I rode the bus through the gorgeous Hawaiian landscape, I pondered my current work/ love life and thought, "geez, am I stuck in the same old places?"  I suddenly felt like a dog chasing it's tail; making changes and experiencing expansion, then returning to busing tables and feeling unfulfilled.


What I realized was that any cycle of change; seasons, time, age, growth can be seen as degenerative and negative, constant and steady or uplifting and mobile.


It is up to you to decide if you are moving forward through cycles of change, staying constant or spiraling downward.   

Attitude is everything after all!  And often we don't even notice the changes and growth because most changes happen slowly with tiny movements; as with the seasons.


So, in this time of resolutions, reflection and new intentions, I offer two things:
1) We decide what type of attitude with which to see and experience the world.  

If you find yourself with a laundry list of resolutions to help fix current problems or struggles in your life, try simply changing your lens on the situation, challenge your thoughts or feelings and express more aloha and love and watch as things begin to shift before your eyes.


2)  Focus on small changes in lifestyle and habit rather than attempting sweeping giant changes.

Do you want to eat more fruits and vegetables this year?  Be more active and fit?  Meet more friends?  Travel more?  Try setting small, achievable goals and making micro- movements.  These really tend to add up and make real changes in lifestyle.  This takes patience of course... but remember that in nature, growth happens slowly and sometimes can't be seen from moment to moment.      


Do you wish to be healthier and more energetic.  Focus on your input.  Studies show that eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetable and whole grains along with moderate exercise significantly decreases cholesterol, helps us slim down and feel healthier. 

 Even I fall off my plant based habits on occasion, (see my last post on post-race indulgence) but I've programmed my body with small changes over time to crave a rainbow of nutritious foods on my plate or in my smoothie.  And I do feel awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment