Monday, May 2, 2016

It's the little things

The best advise I've gotten this week: 

"Go have fun and don't let the man get you down."


Okay, point taken.

I recently signed up for 50k in my hometown of Oakland, CA and am looking forward to running through the redwoods for 5-7 hours with a smile on my face.


And here I am now, resting after a night behind the bar, (bartending is great training for upper body strength, but exhausting too!) and wondering how to make the most out of this moment in time. It's hot, and I live in the 'burbs in flat as a pancake rural Florida right now.

Please don't tell me squats are in future! Okay, fine. (SIGH)
As I sit contemplating my day's activities (sit around all day? play with my phone? binge watch Netflix?)


 I wonder; have I forgotten how to have fun?!


Okay, I do have fun in the kitchen.


I have fun with my dog.


I have fun on my bike. 


I have fun on my feet.


(For the most part!!)

Sadly, I haven't actually been trail running since visiting Berkeley last month!


So, I have been learning some hard lessons here in Florida; surrounded by strip malls and parkways. Finding trails requires long drives while I am committed to low emissions. 


Honestly, time on my feet has felt... soulless as I pound the concrete and SUV's whiz by.

Perhaps, finding fun right now is simply about turning on my imagination. Listening to music to drown out the noise of engines. Making lists of the avian life I encounter on my endless laps around the neighborhood park.


And of course, closing my eyes, and picturing the world I want to see: one with less cars, less pollutants, less spending, waste, and greed, more kindness, greenery, and I'll be honest about my personal needs: a bit of elevation!


No comments:

Post a Comment