Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rebirth and Repair in the Copper Canyons: Part I

I returned home to Kailua Kona, HI this week after an amazing journey to the Copper Canyons of Mexico for Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco.


Words cannot express all the feelings, memories and connections I am bringing back with me, but I will share the journey as best I can; posting updates as my memories release the story.  


I flew from Kona to Tucson, AZ to meet up with some fellow runners and continue the rest of the journey by road.  Here are my travel-mates; (from left to right) Don from Montreal, Joel and Patrick from Tucson just before we left for our two day drive from Patrick's home to Urique, in the Copper Canyons of Mexico.


The journey down to Urique, Chihuahua was marked by beautiful stark desert scenery, and engaging conversation and bonding with my car-mates.


We stopped for the night in Creel, a high mountain town.  Here we are having breakfast at the local hotel, a roaring fire behind us in the lobby.


After breakfast, we loaded the car again and tried to stay warm; Joel and I challenged these local Tarahumara kids to running races, but they were too shy to accept.


As we made our way down into the canyons towards Urique, the car filled with excitement; the scene outside the windows was getting dramatic, the temperatures were rising and I felt myself yielding into adventure.


Many curvy roads ahead and a rest stop about the valley afforded some of the most dramatic views of Urique and the Copper Canyons that nature can offer.


From that moment on, my attention and focus shifted; it was this beautiful moment in the trip where I let go of persistent heaviness; burdens; or past assumptions.  I was here to run and experience the magic of the place. No need for a computer or phone or city problems to follow me.


Arriving in Urique, with the tall mountains we came from behind us; the first thing we wanted to do was run.


The spirit of the canyons had an energizing appeal and after two days in the car, I was ready to stretch my legs.

So, after settling into the campground, my travel buddies and I set out for a short run into town and down river and back again; exploring the colorful downtown and narrow ally's.


Already Urique had a home like feel to me; be it the sleepy stray dogs, the content people and new friends, or the surrounding beauty of the canyons I'm not sure.  But I was at home.  And running on strong legs, I was free and at peace.  The running had started, even though the race was days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment