Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Reflections on an Amazing Journey

It has been over a week since I ran the Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco, and the experience feels both fresh and distant at the same time.


It is difficult to put into words what I am taking back with me from the race, but I can say that I feel fundamentally changed; transformed. 


 Ever since returning home, I feel this tremendous creative energy and a need to follow my bliss more than ever before.  As time goes on, it's as if pieces of a puzzle are slowly coming together; one that started the minute I started running the Copper Canyons.


It's as if the simple act of running all day with a band of Tarahumara Indians, known for their long distance running ability, and other ultrarunners from all over the globe, has left me at once at peace with the world, and also unsatisfied with the status-quo like never before.


Running the ultramarathon through the Copper Canyons put me so deeply into my bliss; I felt so much joy and peace; but also had my eyes open to poverty and the importance of our earth's resources in sharp relief.

Here are a couple local kids, after the Kid's race on Saturday; opening their goodie bag of school supplies.

More than ever before I realize the need to ACT to equalize wealth, protect our environmental resources and unify as a community to address these problems.  


After the race, I felt powerful and strong.  I could not even believe I had run the distance, let along done well in a 11th place among females finish.  Perhaps this power has me energized for change.  


The money and resources this race brings to the Canyon in Mexico, where drought has devastated corn crops, has made a huge positive impact.  The people have more food; the town is thriving.  What else can be done?

Here in my community of Kona, HI, I am embarking on a new journey of sharing healthy living and being an advocate for nourishing foods that come from the earth.  Positive change starts in our own bodies and minds; making choices to pick healing foods and reduce over-consumption is simple and takes only a moment. 


 Taking this path has led me to run 50 miles through Mexico.  What will renewed health do for you?  


No comments:

Post a Comment