Monday, March 18, 2013

My Shoes Have Mexico On Them

Yesterday, I went for a blissful 6 mile run along Ali'i Dr., the main beachfront road in my town of Kailua-Kona, HI.


The weather was cool and gray, a change from the normal heat and sunshine.  As I prepared to embark on my run, I realized how much dust and dirt from the Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco was still left on  my running shoes.  I shook them off a bit and hit the road; feeling the magic of the Copper Canyons still in my feet.


On my run, I thought a lot about transforming our thoughts to change our minds.  

Here's what I mean:  I often tell myself and others that "I am slow".  "I run slow, bike slow, swim slow, etc. etc."  I say this, thinking it is the honest truth.  Compared to many runners on the roads I am slow.  But is this true?  Or is it true only because I am consistently telling myself and others this.


When I arrived in Urique, for the long run two weeks ago, I went for a little training run when I first arrived, and as I passed through the town, other runners commented, "look out, she's fast!"  Really?  Fast?  Then, as I ran in the heat of the Barrancas (the Mexican name of the area around the Copper Canyons) for the Ultramarathon, again, spectators and fellow runners commented on my speed.

This is me at the finish of the 50 miler: crying in total disbelief that I was capable of running that far!

Humility can be a very grounding emotion.  And yet, as I ran yesterday, my thoughts turning towards my form and turn-over; I wondered, "what if I told myself that I was fast?"  What would happen?


A friend reminded me the other day, that our minds are like computers.  We input a message enough times, and memorize it.  If we tell ourselves, "I am stupid" enough times (or someone else tells us this), we memorize it, and this belief effects our behaviors, emotions and relationships.  We might stop ourselves from going back to school, or starting a project, or reading an interesting book, because we truly believe that we "are stupid".  Is it true?  If so, only because we think it is true.


The good news is, we can REPROGRAM the computer.  We can input new messages, and change not only our thoughts and words, but thus our actions and behaviors.  What if instead of telling yourself, "I will never be (healthy, happy, fit)_____; I'm too (lazy, indulgent, overweight) _____," you told yourself, "I can be healthy, I am working towards good health, etc."  


The crazy thing is, it works!  I was not always fit, happy or healthy.  It took a lot or retraining my brain.  Now, I have a life-style that fits my values, my thoughts and actions around health are synchronous and I feel amazing.  

Jackfruit and mangos on my front porch.  Fruit is the best!  Cleansing and sweet.

A final little hooray for good health and creating change in our bodies and homes.  I'm on a cooking and creative spurt in my apartment and am celebrating the start of spring with a gut cleaning!  

As any MD will tell you, a happy body truly starts with a happy gut.  So, I'm working on getting more pro-biotics and healthy bacteria into my system to start a bit of spring cleaning in there!  


Here is my home-made sauerkraut and sourdough starter bubbling away on my kitchen counter.  Happy fermentation!  Click on the links to learn how to make your own!

1 comment:

  1. "As I prepared to embark on my run, I realized how much dust and dirt from the Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco was still left on my running shoes."

    Love, love, love this image. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete