Thursday, May 23, 2013

Drinking Green Smoothies at the Diner

Confession time:  I'm recently took a job working at a corporate chain restaurant; let's call it Andy's.  Yes, I am environmental educator by background; yes, I am a nature nut/ vegan long distance runner and athlete, and I work at Andy's.


I just moved to my new digs in Oahu with the purpose of entering graduate school in Botany.  Here's the thing; I need to pay the bills; feed myself and feed my dog.  Additionally, I enjoy a lifestyle where going on running trips and traveling to races is non-negotiable.  These races and trips are my joys, and I will move mountains to make them happen.


What led me to this work?  A friend had mentioned they loved the Andy's in Waikiki, and as I scoffed at the time, when I peeked my head in, I noticed it was jammed packed and people all looked HAPPY (including the servers!).  Perhaps there is something else that is drawing me to the restaurant; like rubber necking as you pass a car accident.  It's horrific, but you can't help wanting to see.


I realize that I am different.  I subsist on a plant based, now totally locally grown diet.  I make my own nut milk.  I feed my dog sweet potatoes, oatmeal and fresh fish.  After a long workout, I crave a spirulina smoothie or a giant salad with lentils, sprouts and avocado.  I wash my plastic bags.  And to a certain degree, I think this puts a barrier between me and others.


If I am not careful, I find myself with a serious superiority complex.  I take immaculate care of my health; I avoid foods and products that harm others (fair trade, without dangerous pesticides, local etc.), animals (I choose vegan, but have not always been so), and the environment (I choose to support farms where they take care of their soil and add to global carbon reduction).

I believe living this way and spreading these ideas is a good thing; in fact a solution to many problems that we as a nation are now facing; diabetes, heart disease, obesity, global warming, and even economic inequality.


I also realize that change is difficult, and the fact is, many people don't want to change.  Many people simply want Andy's.  Even though they may know that it is bad for their health, that it might be causing them to live a shorter or painful life, they still want Andy's.  It provides them with happiness in the moment; a large plate of good tasting comfort for an affordable place.  I don't think there is anything wrong with taking comfort in a meal; I do however think there is something seriously wrong with the amount and what is going into the food.


Who am I to judge my fellow human; we are all following our desires and doing our best to keep our families well fed and taken care of.  I am hoping that embarking on my 30 day challenge to eat local, along with fulfilling the dream of the teaching farm, along with working right in the middle of our world of poor dietary choices will open my eyes and mind.


Any yup, I bike or run to work and I bring my green smoothies and stir-fries as I watch training videos on up-selling the dessert and appetizer menu.


1 comment:

  1. That pic of you crossing the finish line in Urique is one of my favorites. Such a powerful moment!

    ReplyDelete