Monday, May 13, 2013

New Island, New Home, New Runs and Tired Legs


Last week, I moved to busy Honolulu from the Big Island and the transition has been; well, a transition.  Events and emotions have been a bit of a roller coaster.  I arrived on the plane to face delays of the late electric company, bumper to bumper traffic and the stresses of a job hunt.  I also found a roommate, a futon, a farmers market and two natural food stores in my first few days.


Fortunately, there is running.


The very first morning in Oahu, I climbed Koko Head, a challenging climb up to the top of a mountain on old railway ties.  The morning light was gorgeous and my legs felt strong.


As the week flowed on, I attempted to stick to my normal training schedule; swimming in the ocean on Thursday, a day off on Friday, a long ride on Saturday and a long run on Sunday.

The view from partway through my Saturday ride on the southern coast of Oahu.
GROUNDING

Of course with moving boxes and furniture up three flights of stairs along with the stresses of a rental van, finding food, and necessities and lack of sleep; I had to make some serious adjustments to match my dwindling energy levels.

I cut my Saturday ride short, and allowed for a much slower than normal pace on my Sunday run.  This felt somewhat discouraging with my half Ironman race coming up in three weeks.  And, I'm realizing the need to be grateful for what I have been accomplishing.

The "Heavy Breathers" Saturday ride group.  Sounded like just my pace!

Two things have helped with tremendously with this transition; community and grounding food.  I joined up with a group for my Saturday ride; helping me not only navigate the traffic, but giving me support and encouragement which I might not give myself.


As far as finding my healthy veggies and fruit to sustain and ground me, I sought out farmers markets right away, and left with $30 worth of beautiful Hawaiian grown sustenance.


GRATEFUL 

No comments:

Post a Comment