Sunday, May 19, 2013

Local Food, Local Rides and Runs

Today is Day 3 of my local food challenge; where I consuming only Hawaiian grown foods, and it started with a beautiful and easy 5 mile run along the Ala Moana canal.  Of course, after a long ride yesterday and a quick run this morning, I am HUNGRY!

The local food challenge is proving both easy and tough for me.  Because of the amazing produce in Hawaii, I already eat a pretty local diet; consisting of fruit and oatmeal in the mornings, big salads in the mid-day, snacks of bars, nuts, and smoothies, and a dinner of stir fry or sweet potatoes with beans and grains.  Now, I'm cutting out the grains, produce and processed foods from overseas.


Like most of us, I have been accustomed to my habits and routines; the flax or hemp-seeds in my shakes, the rice vinegar in my salad, the oats, the wheat, the dried beans from the store.  Now, I am intentionally focusing on just the produce grown here, and without living on a farm; I'm having to seek out all my favorite fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains.


So far, I've made some pretty excellent food; big salads with local greens, string beans, avocado, beets and sprouts; stir fry dishes with sweet potato, tomatoes, herbs and macademia nuts and some amazing smoothies with mango, banana, spirulina, kale, and raw cocoa nibs.   


Yesterday, on a long 50 mile bike ride up to the North Shore, I happened upon a cafe on an old sugar plantation that was making fresh squeezed sugar cane juice.  WOW!  The perfect drink to carry me through my return trip home.  Along with a plethora of bananas and macadamia nuts, I've been pretty satisfied.  In fact, feeling nicely energized today (of course this could be because of the coffee and chocolate shake I recently consumed!)


The best new discovery the local food challenge has brought me is POI:  a starch made from ground up taro plant, water and salt.  I had never ventured into the world of poi until embarking on this challenge, and turns out I have been missing out!  I love the creamy root vegetable, either on it's own or mixed into stir-fry's.  Next project: Poi pancakes and Poi burgers!


The biggest barrier I'm coming across is not using the items in my pantry or imported condiments.  I am a big salad and bread person.  So, not eating bread has already been tough... I keep stopping myself from ducking in somewhere to order a bagel or toast!  

Dressings for salads so far are beet juice and mashed avocado; but I have broken down and comprimised a few times by throwing a dash of this or a splash of that in my salads.  No need for perfection here; but I'm definitely interested in finding alternatives that are grown or produced right here.  The reality is, as costs of imported food rises; I'm interested in how to support one's-self with as much locally grown food as possible.

  The big question is: will I feel better in the process?  

No comments:

Post a Comment