Thursday, October 18, 2012

30 Miles Down!

Today was Day 1 of my running journey around the Big Island, and I can hardly believe that I traveled so far in one day. 


Running from Kona at 4 a.m., the early morning was magical; the air was cool and the stars were bright.  Whole stretches of highways went by without traffic, and the world felt fresh and quiet.
 
 
I arrived in Waikoloa at 8 a.m. after 21 miles of running, feeling a bit parched (I missed one of my water drops), but strong and high on life.  After iced coffee, salty taro chips, an Odwalla superfood and tons of water, I felt revived and ready to hang out on the beach all day. 
 
 
Here's me, yesterday, getting my water drops ready.  Another comprimise to myself and the earth for using all the plastic water bottles, but they sure are handy in the dry lava fields of Hawaii!
 
When I missed a major water drop and ended up feeling parched towards the end of my run to Waikoloa, I was reminded of the precious nature of our water supplies, and the delicate balance between a successful journey and a dangerous one (I'll be leaving more waters next time!).
 
Of course, I think about this too, with my run along the highway.  I'm wearing a reflective vest and headlamp, but ideally we would have safer shoulders, paths and trails out here in such an active and outdoorsy state!  Thank you, PATH for all the work you do to advocate for bike lanes and off road trails.
 
Overall, my day was long and gratifying; 2 good long runs with a major beach bumming session sandwiched between.  As yoga and athletics teaches us, rest is just as important as action!

No comments:

Post a Comment