Thursday, October 18, 2012

What Fuels Me

Yesterday's long run is already feeling like a blur.  I pushed myself a bit more than I intended, and my body is feeling it today.  At the same time, I can hardly believe I feel as well as I do after running 30 miles yesterday; my body clearly knows how to regenerate and recharge.

 
I think this is due to a few simple things: hydration, nutrition, and getting in tune with my body.  All day today, I've been drinking water and fueling with healthy food to replenish in addition to resting, stretching, napping.


Here's some of what really fuels my body when I'm pushing it this hard!  As a vegan and someone commited to minimizing processed foods, I eat as much calorie dense whole grains, seeds, nuts and legumes as well as antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables to provide me with essential vitamins and minerals.  
 
In addition to whole foods, there are a few new products on the market that have really helped me in my training, and I'm using in the run.  Skratch is a natural elecrolyte drink I've been using that I really like.  I also make smoothies with spirulina from Bioastin and hemp seeds to give extra protein for muscle repair.

Additionally, I've become an advocate for whole food nutrition systems made with consciously sourced ingredients.  I just started taking Niupure in the morning, and feel my energy much more consistently through the day.  Made with flax and spirulina, it's boosting my intake of vital B vitamins and minerals.


It is an unfortunate truth, that we don't take in as much fresh foods from the earth as our ancestors did, and are therefore nutritionally deficient... In part simply because much of our conventionally grown and produced food are low in nutritional quality.


I know that it in reality, most of us eat like this.  Therefore, I've become a big advocate for products like JuicePlus, which provide a huge dose of whole fruits and veggies in a small pill or chewable gummy for kids.  And from a training standpoint, the more fruits and vegetable energy I can get the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment