Sunday, October 7, 2012

World Peace and Whole Foods

Yesterday, I went to the Hilo Farmers Market for my weekly grocery shopping-- a serious highlight of my week, and my life here in Hawaii!
 

There is nothing I love more than veggies, fresh fruits and picking up my weekly bounty from the market.  Growing your own food, or knowing your farmers provides you with a direct connection with what you put in your body!  Plus, the vibrant flavors, colors, smells and textures of real organic and local produce is a joy!


 
The only downside to my trip is the three hour bus ride, and night at a hostel, which always take a bit of toll on me.  I like exploring and traveling; eating out and making unexpected discoveries.  But sometimes travel and going outside our comfort means that means that we make mistakes- especially with food and diet. 
 
 
 
 Here's what I end up snacking on at the market... yum, mochi! 
 
 

And here is what really fuels me.  Even after travel foods (including some excellent thai green curry and papaya salad), and a funky belly from the bus, I was ready for a speedy PATH 10k this morning.
 
 
  My trip to Hilo was highlighted with a visit to Coconut Island and the World Peace Festival.  The hula dancers were so amazing; the way they train their bodies to move in these beautiful ways; simply amazing!
 
 
I suppose that for me- world peace and shopping at farmers markets and eating green, and promoting trails, wilderness areas and wellness through running- these are the positive issues that really matter-- the occassional Coca- Cola, Mochi or bag of Pretzles is simply a temptation that I currently give into and enjoy on occassion.  Hoping to make peace with give and take. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment