Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 3 and Feeling Great!

First of all
 
Some stats so far
 Miles run: 57
Hours on the road (including water breaks):  11
 Highway 19 north from Kona to Kawaihae, then east to Waimea
Old Mamalohoa Highway into Honoka'a
 

 
Today was definitely one of the highlights of my run circling the Big Island.  I ran 15.5 miles from Waimea to Honoka'a along the Old Mamalohoa highway; a welcome change from busy highways and lava fields.
 
The road was peaceful and calm, and the scenery went from rolling farmland to lush rainforest like vegetation.  Just gorgeous! 
 
I ran from the center of Waimea at around 9:15 a.m. after Thad, my coach and host for my first two nights showed me the turn-off for the Old Highway and dropped my water and food for the route.  What an awesome guy to start the journey with- totally laid back, hilarious and giving.
 
 
To give back, here is the dinner I made last night after my challenging and nerve wracking 10 mile push up the highway into Waimea.   Lentil mushroom patties and kale salad with avocado and fresh tomato... The salad ingredients are all Hawaii grown!
 
After that full meal and a great night of sleep, I was recharged for today's miles; and feel so thankful for the awesome change of scenery and peace of the country road. 
 
 
After the run, I immediately re-fueled at a natural food cafe with a smoothie and veggie sandwich, and met my friends, here to run the Honoka'a Half Marathon to check in at our hotel and drive down to Waipio Valley. 
 
 
Waipio Valley is WOW, amazing.
  Enough said.
 
 
A dip in the ocean and a nap, and I felt revived and ready to enjoy tomorrow's race-- I plan to go really easy and enjoy the scenery and company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment