Friday, October 5, 2012

Key Lime Pie and Motivation

Tonight, I ran a good 6 miles with the Big Island Running Company, and felt good despite a bout of dehydration from yesterday's speed work.  It was a glorious evening; the sunset was epic, the temperatures cool, and the Ironmen and women sharing the road with us; pretty inspirational! 


The Ironman athletes decending upon my new home of Kona, HI provide both motivation, and I must admit; a tad bit of discouragement.  I'm running at a decent clip of say, 9 minute miles, and I am being passed again and again and again by chisled dodied triathletes who look like they could be out walking the dog; they are barely breaking a sweat. 
 
Okay, I know, comparison is the poison pill; but is it?  I must also say that without motivation to push harder, to acheive more, to keep up, where would we be?  Stuck at a 10 minute per mile pace, no doubt!  Meeting Ellis, a visiting Ultraman athlete here, has provided a plethora of motivation; sharing expertise, knowledge and enthusiasm for the sport.  Thanks Ellis!!
 
So many things can be motivators.  I think it's all about finding what works for you, and visualizing your success to push further.  For example, if my bigger goals and reasons for doing something fail me, I can nearly always be motivated by one thing:  DELICIOUS FOOD.
 
 
So, today, I made a raw key lime pie (made with Island grown avocados) in preparation for a gathering among friends.  What a good motivator for being out on a run or long bike ride... I picture the delicious, healthy, nutrient rich pie and a smile covers my face (accompanied by some drool). 

1 comment: