Thursday, October 25, 2012

Running Through the Rain Forest!

These past two days of running have been divine!  From Akaka Falls to Hilo and then to Volcano is some of the most lush and verdant forests of Hawaii.
 
 
 
Yesterday, I ran 10 miles from the Palms Cliff House Inn near Akaka Falls to the downtown Hilo.  My friend and total inspiration, Ellis; who is training for the upcoming Ultraman Championship, accompanied me for the run after biking 100 miles to Akaka Falls from Kona to meet me at the day before.  It was great to have the company and motivation of such an amazing athlete.
 

 
Here are the two of us stretching this morning at our host's house in Hilo.  Once we arrived in Hilo, we wandered the town, eating and drinking and chatting, before meeting my great friend and ground support from here on out, Sheryl.
 
 
Sheryl is amazing!  Starting with today's run from Hilo to Volcano, she's my car ground support- carrying all the snacks, water, changes of clothes that I could ever need.  Here she is at the Caldera at Volcano this evening after a tough day of supporting!
 
 
And here we are back to this morning, right after the farmer's market!  We fueled up on veggies on fruit for the next few days:  celery, greens, papayas, bananas and tangerines; oh my!!
 
 
At the market, we met up with Colby and Mike, two Hilo runners; said our goodbye's to Ellis who was heading back to Kona by bike and departed for a misty and cool 15 mile run!
 
 
It was a joy to have company for the run, and we had such great conversation and mutual inspiration on the run!  Thanks guys!
 
 
I took an hour long reprive by a church (please Lord let my legs recover!).
 
 
15 tough miles later, my prayers were answered and I ran into the town of Volcano and rest!  (The Kilauea lodge restaurant was closed, but I've been resting quite well at my host's house quite comfortably!  I am so amazing at the kindness and generosity I have experienced this trip.  I had moments running today, where I just felt so thankful and happy to have landed here on the Big Island.  So much aloha! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment