Friday, October 26, 2012

The Best is Yet to Come

My good friend and ground support, Sheryl told me when she joined us in Hilo that, "the best is yet to come.
 

I laughed and thought, "yeah right; I'm f*#ing tired!"  But SHE WAS TOTALLY RIGHT!!  I've now run 165 miles over 8 days, and feel great.
 
 
Today, I ran from Volcano National Forest to Pahala.  The morning air was crisp and cool when I began, and heated up as time went on.  Here I am with the volcanic gases of Volcano rising behind me.  I expected a long day of lava fields and desert, but what I encountered was beautiful alpine-like forest that reminded me of my home state of California.
 
 
My energy was good, and I made good time to Pahala-- arriving before noon and the hottest part of the day.  Good thing I had a wonderful "zero day" yesterday, and rested well in Volcano.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here are Sheryl and I at the historic Kilauea Lodge in Volcano enjoying a much deserved rest day breakfast.  The server and cooks were so kind-- serving me an abundance of fresh veggies with hash browns and gluten free toast- yum!
 
 
After breakfast, we stretched out our legs at the National Park, explored lava fields and generally enjoyed the beautiful day.
 
 
Best of all, I got to put my feet up!!
 
Volcano is such a spectacular place, and we couldn't have ended up here at a better time.  The caldera is very active right now-- viewing was wonderful- especially at night!  Spooky!
 
Here is our very generous host in Volcano, Xanthe.  She was my babysitter when I was a kid, and now hosted me on my running journey (how we both ended up living in Hawaii is amazing).  Conversation over meals centered around the good life in Hawaii, swimming, running, good food and my causes I'm supporting in this run:  PATH, and Hawaii Conservation Alliance.
 
 
This whole journey has really proven to me the importance of preserving and creating trails and paths in Hawaii-- This is one of the most geologically, historically, and ecologically fascinating places; and people love to explore it; but our trail system really leaves something to be desired!  Traveling south, however, was relatively quiet and calm-- this area is less trafficked with wider shoulders.
 
 
Here are some Ne Ne relaxing on the side of the quiet highway.
 
 
Today's mostly level and downhill run offered not only beautiful scenery (a macademia nut plantation is pictured above), but a chance to really appreciate my legs, my body and my mind for getting me this far!  As I was approaching the southern part of the island, my favorite song, "Own it" by Black Eyed Peas played on my Ipod, nearly making me cry!  I can hardly believe I've made it this far, and have only 80 miles back to Kona!
 
We celebrated making it this far south with lunch at the southernmost restaurant in the U.S.- I feel revived and ready for tomorrow after all the fresh Hawaii veggies and fruit, hydration, a visit to Black Sands Beach and...
 
 
REST!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment