Monday, October 22, 2012

30 Miles To a Bit of Heaven

Wow, I thought I knew what tired feels like!  I ran my long, 30 mile run today from Honoka'a to the Palms Cliff House Inn near Akaka Falls, and I'm near beat!!
 

Yup, this is about all I'm capable of doing right now!  (This is actually me at Waikoloa after my first 21 miles of the journey).  Fortunately, after such an tiring run, I arrived in a slice of pure paradice here on the eastern coast of the Big Island.
 
 
This is the view from outside of my window.  Ah, relaxation and rejuvination.  The very first thing I did was take a cold shower.  It was a crazy hot day, with headwind, and I decended and then climbed about 4 gulches, and this is all on pretty tired and already achey muscles.  BUT, the run was through some of the most scenic and awe-inspiring parts of Hawaii; and something switched in my brain to simply make me run, run, run.
 
 
So, today was a challenge, and my body and mind are both feeling a bit taxed.  And this is what rest and relaxation are for.  I'm hydrating with salted water, napping, snacking and resting.  Tomorrow's run is a straightforward and mostly shaded 10 mile run into Hilo, where I'll stay at a friend's house, so I can rest all day and start out late tomorrow. 
 
 

One last word for the day:  I'm running for a couple very important causes; Hawaii Conservation Alliance and PATH, People's Advocacy for Trails Hawaii, and I want to give a SERIOUS shout out to PATH and the vital work they do. 

The roads out there are dangerous, no doubt.  There are parts of our windy roads here with no shoulder, and drivers often speed, text while driving or are otherwise distracted.  With so many of us on the roads; bikers, runners, and walkers enjoying Hawaii's beauty, we need to build more connecting trails and paths, expand our shoulders and make the roads safer for recreation.
 
 
Here in Hawaii, we live on paradice on earth, and we want to enjoy it in all it's bounties.  Let's work together to create a healthier and safer Big Island! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment