Thursday, October 11, 2012

Doubt, Faith and Running on Plants

Here's the weird thing about fear and self-doubt:  Most times, it's totally mental- fabricated from our psyches and our experiences of the world; but it expresses itself as physical.  We shake, get sweaty, our stomach knots and our muscles tense-- We are ready for FIGHT OR FLIGHT!
 
 
Today, I ran into a good friend who expressed doubts and worries about my upcoming running trip around the Big Island.  I'll run 240 miles, averaging 20-30 miles per day (with a few days off) starting in ONE WEEK.


There are a lot of logistics to put together:  my run support, water and food drops, lodging, and raising funds for the larger mission of preserving open spaces, agriculture land and recreational trails. And that scares me a little.  When I suddenly remember I forgot to follow up with a B & B, or respond to an e-mail; my heart skips a beat, I feel a bit stressed and perhaps I write a note or a list.
 
(Yup, that's me, terrified before my first marathon)
 
 
My friend however, expressed the doubt that scares me the most.  That I wasn't strong enough to run that much.  That I'm not running enough now.  That I will get hurt, or not make it; based on my current mileage or physical condition.  That thought expressed, makes me sweat, makes my stomach go in knots, makes me a little a sick, and most discouragingly; makes me want to quit before I've started.
 
I must be saving my flight response for later, because instead I chose to fight.  I told my friend that I believe in myself, gave the reasons I feel strong and able to handle the miles, and explained the power of individuals knowing our own bodies.  Isn't that what Ironman and endurance sports comes down to?
 
Today, a physical therapist told me that what is fascinating about our her work is that all people have about the same anatomy and physiology; our muscles and tendons, nervous systems and adrenal systems are all build the same.  And yet some us run marathons and Ironman triathlons and run around an Island, while others engineer powerful machines or write a novel or on the flip side; languish in their self doubt.  Moral here: our minds and bodies combined make a powerful being!
 
 
This is why it's so important that we treat our minds and bodies with care; feeding ourselves and our children with fresh fruits and vegetables.  If we are what we eat, I want to eat all the local produce grown here on Hawaiin soil as I can to power my mind and body through this journey.  I'll leave the toxic doubt for the doggie bag!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment